- How long have you been working in off shore?
I have been working in offshore vessel for 7 years, 3 years as 2nd
engineer then 4 years as chief engineer
- What was your last vessel? And what type?
name is SV Golden Pride, the vessel is supply vessel but have modified as workboat, in Mubarraz oilfield in Abu Dhabi UAE,
the vessel engine type for Main engine and auxiliary engine is caterpillar the ME is 2x caterpillar 3512 b and the
generator is 3306 B, Hose power is 3000 BHP
- How to identify an H2S emission, and what will you do?
H2S (Hydrogen sulphide) is a colorless and flammable gas and highly poisonous, that smells like “Rotten egg”. H2S is
heavier than air, easily spread by wind and soluble in water.
Action to be taken during tied-up the Rig in case of “GAS ALERT” asf:
∙ Smell like rotten egg and auto gas alarm will be sounded
∙ Start emergency gas alarm _ _ . (Two long blast followed by one short blast)
∙ Immediately to wear EEBD or SCBA and assist the other crew to wear SCBA
∙ All crew proceed to muster station at Bridge or run to the high level area in the bridge/monkey island, never
come back to level area without properly wear SCBA
∙ All port holes, doors and ventilation must be closed and switch off.
∙ Crew with proper SCBA and portable gas detector proceed to unmooring operation.
∙ Pull out the vessel from the platform and proceed to windward location and continue monitoring “Gas alarm”
∙ The potential H2S hazard can be substantially reduced by operating the vessel’s protective water spray systems
and the Off-ship Fire-Fighting Monitors in a full spray pattern
- What are emergency signals on board your vessel?
There are 4 emergency signals on board:
a. Abandon Ship = • • • • • • • _ (Seven short blast followed by one long blast) b. Fire alarm/General emergency = ____ (Continuous Ringing)
c. Man Over Board = _ (Three long blast)
d. Gas Alert = __ • (Two long blast followed by one short blast)
- What is your job assignment in muster station (emergency station)?
Fire, Rescue & First Aid : E/R- In charge of engine room, start Fire pump
Man Over Board & CPR: Boat Deck-In charge of engine room
H2S Gas Drill: Bridge- S/B engine, wear scott air pack
Collision & water tight: E/R- In Charge of engine room
Oil Polution: Place of pollution- Stop oil supply
Life raft / life boat master; Life Raft No.1 Shut down Main engine
Steering failure: Engine room- In Charge
- What is SCBA and do you know how to put on and safely use the breathing apparatus?
SCBA = Self Contained Breathing Apparatus. Working period of SCBA is at about 30 – 45 minutes depending on
capacity and weight of the cylinder. You must be able to practice to wear SCBA (important)
- What is EEBD? EEBD = Emergency Escape Breathing Devices
- Check your vessel Safety and Fire Plan to be more known for the number and location of the LSA/FFE on your vessel
- What is the horse power of the engines? 2x CAT 3512c 1575 total 3150 BHP
- What is the power of the A/E? 2x CAT c6.6 ACERT 184 kw 1800 rpm
- What is the power of the bow thrusters? CAT c12 339 kw
- What is the detail and pumping capacity of the bilge & Ballast pump?Desmi’s Horizontal centrifugal self priming pumpCap: 40 m /hr x 45m
- What is the detail & pumping capacity of the GS & fire pump Desmi’s Horizontal centrifugal self priming pump Cap: 40 m3 /hr x 45m
- What is the detail & pumping capacity of Emergency fire pump?Yanmar’s Horizontal Centrifugal Self priming pump Cap: 25m3 /hr x 45 m
- What is the detail & pumping capacity of the Dirty oil pump? Dirty oil transfer pump Cap: 3 m3/hrs x 15 m Oily water Separator pump: Taibo-Kikai LD-INSA Cap: 1 m3/hr x 2kg/cm2 OWS type: Taiko Kikai USC-10 Cap: 1 m3/hr x 2kg/cm2
- What is the pumping capacity of the Fuel Oil transfer pump? Cap; 100m3/h x 60 m
- What is the capacity of FW transfer pump?Cap; 100m3/h x 60 m
What is Capacity of Day tank?
Day tank P/S Cap. 16,9m3
Emergency Generator day tank cap. 360 Liters
B.T. Engine day tank cap. 450 Liters
What is the maximum and minimum draft of your vessel?
Max 4.0 meter min 929mm
What is the vessel capacity of Fuel oil, Fresh water and Drill water?
Fuel oil; 578,2m3/491,47m3,
fw; 477,7 m3,
ballast w; 145,1 m3
dirty oil; 35m3
Do you know where is the emergency alarm button, and Engine emergency stop buttons?, engine
emergency stop button in the bridge. Forward and aft near the engine maneuver station in the bridge
Are you familiar with Starting and change over procedure from forward control to aft control.
Practical question, to practice the Starting and change over procedure of M/E control, Steering and Bow thruster
control from forward to Aft.( keep handle to zero/ideal then press green button)
Do you know the location of the following books and publications:
Stability booklet, Aramco Tide Table, Brown Nautical Almanac, Muster Station poster, Cargo Securing Manual,
collision regulation booklet, General arrangement plan, Tanks Plan, safety arrangement plan.
What is the density of Fresh water ?
What is the density of sea water?
Location of 24 volt supply for all navigation equipment
The battery located on monkey island / upper the bridge,
The distributor panel is inside the bridge, The battery charger is inside the bridge
How to test GMDSS power supply source and alarm if main power supply fails?
Switch off main supply then automatic emergency supply from battery on
The location is in the panel radio equipment charger written SSB and Inmarsat 1&2
What are the safety device connect to Main Engine?
Over speed, low oil pressure, high water temperature
What are root causes of crank case explosion?
The root causes of crank case explosion is combustion leak from cylinder to crank case due bad condition of piston
What are safety devices provided to reduce crank case explosion?
Crank case door with spring, ( aduh lupa namanya apa? crank case explosion proof ) when the pressure inside crank
case high it will be push the door/ cover to opened and realist the pressure to prevent the explosion
What does it means “reverse power ?
Reverse power is condition reverse which power flows from the bus bar into the generator. This condition can occur
when there is a failure in the prime mover such as an engine or a turbine which drives the generator.
Causes of Reverse Power
The failure can be caused to a starvation of fuel in the prime mover, a problem with the speed controller or
an other breakdown. When the prime mover of a generator running in a synchronized condition fails. There
is a condition known as motoring, where the generator draws power from thebus bar, runs as a motor and
drives the prime mover. This happens as in a synchronized condition all the generators will have the same
frequency. Any drop in frequency in one generator will cause the other power sources to pump power into
the generator. The flow of power in the reverse direction is known as the reverse power relay.
Another cause of reverse power can occur during synchronization. If the frequency of the machine to be
synchronized is slightly lesser than the bus bar frequency and the breaker is closed, power will flow from the
bus bar to the machine. Hence, during synchronization(forward), frequency of the incoming machine is kept
slight higher than that of the bus bar i.e. the synchroscope is made to rotate in the “Too fast” direction. This
ensures that the machine takes on load as soon as the breaker is closed.
- What does it mean low insulation?
Low insulation is the situation when the insulation is low due to bad wiring or have some shock wire to the ground or
- How to trace to identify the low insulation?
To trace the low insulation by switch of one by one switch breaker when the low insulation there the indicator will back
to normal. Then we need to check the breaker which low insulation by merger test the equipment though that
- What are the Chief engineer responsibilities according to STCW?
The duties of the chief engineer are clearly mentioned in SYCW 95 Section A-III/2:
● Is the head of technical department of the ship, It is his duty to ensure that the engine room
machinery work properly for a smooth voyage.
● Is the responsibility of chief engineer to look after the safety of maritime professionals working in the
● Chief engineer should ensure that all the ship’s machinery and equipment are working in efficient
manner in order to support safe navigation of the ship.
● He should carry out all his duties, while complying with the rule and regulation laid down by the flag
state administration, IMO, and port state authorities.
● Frequent inspections of equipment dealing with ship and personal safety must be carried out by him
at regular intervals of time.
● All item used for pollution prevention should be frequently checked and tried out for proper
● Chief engineer should lay down a set of standing orders for each crew member under his commend
● The standing order should be given in accordance with the routine maintenance schedule as laid
down by the planned Maintenance system (PMS), which is prescribed by the manufacture.
● He should see that the details of every operation and activity should be properly maintained in log
and record books, which state the compliance of system.
● Life saving and fire preventing equipment should be check an regular basis for their operating
● In order to minimize source of fire, chief engineer must ensure that proper operation and
maintenance of fuel and lubricating oil is carried out to minimize leakages. In case there are
leakages, they should be rectified at the earliest.
● He should be make sure that the amount of wate oil that is collect should be as les as possible.
● Chief engineer must check that the oil pumped out of the ship only through oily water separator.
● Make sure necessary machine spare should be made available in the ship store by filling the proper
requisition at the right time
● It is the duty of chief engineer to motivate his crew to developed a safety first attitude in his work.
● Chief engineer also make sure that his crew attends all shipboard emergency drill and safety
● The chief engineer must provide guidance to his crew during drill so that they know how to get out
of an emergency situation safely in the minimum time possible
● While tacking an emergency situation, the chief engineer must follow the company guidelines and
procedures for dealing with emergencies
● Chief engineer must have knowledge of equipment such as fixed firefighting installation, operation
of quick closing valve, etc in order to deal with extreme emergency situations
● During an emergency situation, the chief engineer must maintain proper communication with the
master regarding the situation of emergency, as the ship’s master is in touch with the local authority
and shipping office
● He must cooperate with the master so that both deck and engine department function toward
bringing the emergency
- In case of you have fire inside engine room, what are the first thing to do? Moreover, what are recommended
procedures to fight?
If have fire in engine room we should as soon as possible switch on fire alarm then try to shut of the fire use correct
fire extinguisher in case big fire we need stop all blower and shut off the fir damper and fire flap and make
sure no badi inside the engine room to start realist the co2
- How you test oil content monitor ‘PPM’?
After switch on the power we can push or put the finger inside the smart cell monitor then the sensor will read high
ppm then will sound alarm high ppm.
- What does it means PMS?
PMS (Plan Maintenance System) is a paper/ software base system which allow the ship’s owner and /or operator of
the vessel maintenance in intervals according to manufactures and class/ classification society requirement.
The maintenance, primarily supervised by on board personnel, is then credited towards inspection required by
The planning and scheduling of maintenance as well as its document must be made according to a system that is
approved by classification society.
- Is sewage treatment plan (stp) permitted on the jetty? What the convention say?
When ship in the jetty sewage treatment plan should continuous operation, discharge over board valve should be
closed and lock.
(Annex I V) The convention say that every ship 200 gross tonnage must be have sewage treatment plan,
Discharge of sewage using sewage treatment plan at distance more than 4 nautical mile from nearest land.
Or sewage which is without treat at a distance more than 12 nautical mile from nearest land.
The discharge of sewage from holding tank should not instantly but moderate rate when ship is proceeding at not less
than 4 knot.
- What is principles using sewage treatment plan?
Sewage on sea is generally the waste produce from toilet, urinals and WC scuppers.
In the sewage treatment plan, the sewage is collect and treat by decomposition of the raw sewage by aerobic
- What are three chamber inside the sewage treatment plan?
- Aerating Chamber
This chamber is fed by row sewage which has been grinded to from small particles. The advantages of
breaking sewage in small particles is that increase the area and high number of bacteria can attack
simultaneously to decomposed sewage. The bacteria can survive by the air flow through diffuser
into the air chamber. The air produces and forced by air compressor.
- Chlorination Chamber
In this chamber the clear liquid produce from settling in overflown after mixture of liquid passed to settling
tank and the sludge settles at the bottom and clear liquid on the top.
The liquid is disinfected with help chlorine, and reduce the bacteria present in the liquid by chlorination.
- Clear liquid chamber
The clear liquid or after disinfected collected in this chamber to ready for discharge to the sea.
- How do you flush sewage treatment?
To flushing the sewage
- During black flushing 1st
Bio Filter tank, open valve 6 and close valve 7 & 8
- During black flushing 2nd
Bio filter tank open valve 8,9 and close valve 6 & 7
- When discharge sludge, open valve 2,3,5 and close valve 4
- What are critical equipment connect to emergency generator?
Emergency light, emergency power for navigation equipment, steering gear back up supply, battery charger for
battery navigation equipment & battery for engine start.
- How do you test the CO2
Inside the Co2 room, open the release box cabinet use the key then the alarm will occur and Engine room Fan will
Other way, full open the main ball valve for room hold the limits switch lid to not activate to prevent Co2 release.
ventilation shutdown and alarm activation, take manual release handle and open all co2 cylinder top valve.
(But only scenario)
- Procedure to release CO2?
In case big fire in engine room only, before release need to make sure that all crew not in engine room, stop the
aircond and blower, close the fire flap and fire dumper. Then release the CO2;
- Break the glass for the cabinet key
- Open the cabinet
- Open the screw down valve
- Full no.1 valve handle first
- Full no.2 valve handle
- The system is now operated
- How do you test earth leakage in the switch boar?
The test the switch board by push the button earth test , if there is no push button then we can test by merger test
from the equipment to the ground/earth
- Where is location of bilge injection “ emergency bilge suction”?
In this ship the bilge suction near the start board Auxiliary engine in the floor written “Engine room bilge direct valve”.
And one emergency bilge suction valve connected to Fifi pump near the portside Main Engine.
- Which pump is connect to emergency bilge suction?
The emergency bilge suction valve connect to bulge ballast pump and general service pump.
- What are type of propulsion?
The ship propulsion is used gearbox
The detail of gearbox as below;
- What are procedure to switch to emergency steering?
The emergency steering have to ways
- When loos of power control.
● Select motor start to local position port or stbd side
● Switch on steering motor port or stbd side
● Put the head set for communicate to the bridge
● Steering by push solenoid valve by pin stick to port or stbd according the bridge order
● Watching the rudder indicator and report to the bridge
- Steering motor failure
● Open hydraulic valve no V1 and V2
● Emergency steering is ready
● Turn the helm wheel to control the steering follow the bridge order
- What is the used of expansion tank?
Expansion tank used for engine cooling water, the tank is collected fresh water from engine cooling system, so the
cooling water can keep required temperature also we can check the salinity of the water if there is high
salinity we can put the chemical treatment for the system.
- What is benefit of ECM/ engine control module?
ECM is a type of electronic that control a series of actuator on an internal combustion engine to ensure optimal engine
performance. And inside the ECM there is sensor which can read the engine parameter.
So the benefit of ECM is make the engine have optimal performance and make the engineer or operator easy to read
the parameter of engine while running.
- What is the use air intake shutter valve?
The intake shutter valve is also called throttle valve. There is valve to stop the air supple to the combustion room in
Some diesel engines use an intake shutter. The intake shutter has following functions.
(1) Stops vibration immediately after engine is turned off. In diesel engines, air continues to be drawn into the cylinder
and compressed even after the ignition switch is turned off. To prevent vibration from occurring immediately
after engine is turned off, the intake shutter is closed immediately after the ignition switch is turned off in
order to shut the intake air off and stop the engine smoothly.
(2) Reduces intake air noise. During deceleration, or low speed and light load, the amount of the intake air is reduced
by the intake shutter. The intake air noise is reduced without drawing unnecessary air into the intake
- What is the function of expansion valve and solenoid valve in AC plan?
Is component in refrigerant and air conditioning system that control the amount of refrigerant flow into the evaporator
thereby controlling the superheating at the outlet of the evaporator.
Is an electromechanically operated valve. The valve is controlled by an electric current through a solenoid, in the case
of two-port valve the flow is switch on or off. In the case a three-port valve, the outflow is switched between
the two outlet port.
- What does its mean power factor on electric power station?
Power factor as the Cos φ in the triangle
In electrical engineering, the power factor (PF or cosφ) is
the ratio between the power than can be used
in electric circuit (real power, P) and the power from the
result of multiplication between
the current and voltage circuit (apparent power, S). The power factor is defined as
PF ranges from zero to one. The higher the PF, the more efficient the circuit is because more power can be used,
and vice versa. Factors that can cause PF to be less than one is non-linear load, which are capacitive
load and inductive load.